THERE’S AN ELECTION COMING UP, and there’s a lot of things to do to get ready! It can be pretty overwhelming, and you might even be thinking it’s not even worth it. Well, all the friendly staff here at the library can make it easy for you. Here is all the information that you need to know about how to register to vote in the upcoming election! All of this information comes from the Floyd County Clerk Office website at floydcountyclerk.org.
But wait, when is the deadline to register for the upcoming election? It’s Monday, October 7, so there is still plenty of time. As a rule, the registration process closes during the 29 days prior to an election.
Requirements: There are only TWO requirements to register to vote in the state of Indiana!
- You must be a citizen of the United States
- You must be at least eighteen (18) years of age on the day of the next general or municipal election.
That’s it! Now, in the state of Indiana, there are some Voter Registration issues. You can learn more about those here, but ultimately, if you are a citizen who is 18 or older, you should not have any trouble.
How to Register: There are two very easy ways to register to vote.
- You can print a registration form and mail or deliver it to the Clerk’s office. These forms are available at the Voter Registration Office or you can download and print them yourself. The library is happy to help you print these forms, just ask any of the staff about how to do this!
- You can complete an online registration if you have a valid Indiana Drivers License or Indiana ID Card. Just go to the Indiana Voters website.
More Information: If you have any other questions, we at the library are happy to try and help, but your best bet is contacting the source. You have some options.
- Email: Nancy Riley in Voter Registration can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: Voter Registration Office 812-948-5419
- In Person:
Floyd County Voter Registration Office
311 Hauss Square Room 235
New Albany, IN 47150
*Office Hours: Monday – Friday 8 am to 4 pm
You can check the status of your voting registration by going online to https://indianavoters.in.gov/ and clicking “Check Voting Status.” While on the site, you can also find your polling place, see who’s on your ballot, and find voting hours. Voting has never been so easy!
— Jamie B., Librarian