Hi Everyone! We have had a lot of questions about our services since we have been closed to the public. I’ve compiled a list of our most Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) and their answers, to help better serve you. I hope that this quick-reference guide will help you as we all transition to the “new normal.” Remember, things are changing, and we don’t often know how things will work from one day to the next as we are also getting new information. We thank you for your patience, and will give you the newest and best information as it comes to us. You can check our website and social media pages for the newest and most up-to-date information.
- Are you open? First and foremost, none of our locations are yet open to the public, and we do not yet have an opening date. We are continuing to phase opening for the safety of patrons and staff. We are continuing to offer curbside service, which includes drop-off, pick-up, and printing/copying/faxing.
- Hours for Pick-Ups and Returns:
M-F, 10 am to 5:30 pm, Sat. 10 am to 2 pm
- Procedures for Curbside Pick-Ups – We ask that you call us once you are at the library for your pick-up. If you do not have a cell-phone, you may call us before you leave, but we can more accurately serve you if you call us once you arrive. At the Central/New Albany Location: You will stop at the first tent on Ayers St. and call 812-949-4422. At the Galena Location: You will pull into any of the designated parking spots and call 812-850-0094.
If no one answers, please call right back. We are answering other calls, and can’t always answer your call right away. Someone will take your call and ask your name, phone number, the make, model and color of your vehicle , and if you prefer to have your items put in your trunk or set on the curb. We are trying to reduce contact for your safety & ours, so we thank you for your cooperation. Once we get your information, it will take us a few minutes to pull and check out your books and bring them out to you.
- Procedures for Curbside Returns – At the Central/New Albany Location: You will bring Returns to the second set of tents on Ayers St. We ask that you place your books in bags provided and place them in the designated box for books. If you have media, we ask that you do the same for the designated box for media. At the Galena Location: You will bring Returns to the table located next to the entrance gate and place them in the plastic box.
We do not take the books from you, as we are trying to reduce contact for your safety & ours, so we thank you for your cooperation. Once these boxes are full, we seal them and put them in isolation, where they are quarantined for 5 days. You may notice that items on your account do not immediately get checked in the next day. If you get any overdue notices during the five days after you’ve returned items, you can disregard them. Once the 5 day quarantine period has passed, we will check in your items.
- How can I fax? Patrons can call 812-949-4422 for Central/New Albany, or 812-850-0094 for Galena for Faxing from the entrance or curbside. Over the phone, Staff will complete the details of the Fax Coversheet and review all information with you. We will then meet you at the door, or curbside to retrieve your documents. We will then complete the fax process, keeping a copy of the transmission report for our records and provide a confirmation report along with the original materials back to you.
- How can I print? Patrons can utilize WiFi from various locations to send print jobs to our printers. At the Central/New Albany Location, wifi can be accessed from the front patio, sidewalk, or parking lot (patron’s vehicle). At the Galena Location, wifi can be accessed from the parking lot (patron’s vehicle).
You can learn how to send your wireless prints here (I recommend, if you are printing an email attachment, using the “How do I print from a mobile device?” link on the bottom left corner) , and print jobs may be sent from any distance and device to our print release station. You will then need to call 812-949-4422 for Central/New Albany, or 812-850-0094 for Galena and identify yourself. You will need to give your phone number, number of pages to print and email address to release your jobs. Staff will deliver your print job to the front door or curbside!
- What is my account/pin number – We get this question a lot! If you are trying to log on to your account and place holds, access digital content, etc. you were probably asked for your username and pin number. Most of the time, you will just need your card number, which is located on the back of your card, as well as your pin. When you created your library account, we automatically set your pin to the last 4 digits of the phone number you used when you set up your account.
- I can’t request a book through SRCS – SRCS is currently unavailable, and we do not know when it will be back up. You can return any SRCS book(s) you’ve previously borrowed and we will hold them until services are back up, and make sure they are returned. Since services are down, we do not anticipate any late fees or fines. If you are trying to request a book, you have the option to suggest a purchase to our collection here.
- I want to donate books – We are not currently taking book donations. We are not sure when we will be able to take them.
- I would like to donate money to the library – We thank you for any monetary donations you would like to make to the library. We ask that you send your donation, along with any pertinent information to the library, courtesy of this address:
The Floyd County Library
Attn: Melissa Merida, Director
180 W Spring Street
New Albany, IN 47150
- WiFi – There is still access to WiFi at the library. We have extended the reach to our parking lots for ease of use. This is the case at the Central/New Albany Location and Galena Branches. These are public, and do not require a password. You will just need to choose the library’s WiFi network, when given your choices, and it should automatically connect. It can be spotty, so if it doesn’t work on the first try, please try again.
- Meeting Rooms – As our branch is currently closed to the public, so are our meeting rooms. We have also disabled booking of our meeting rooms for the foreseeable future. We hope to have more information regarding meeting room bookings in the future.
- Programs and Events – We have also cancelled all in-person programs through the summer. We have moved and adapted many programs to a virtual format, and you can find information about them by visiting our events calendar.
As always, you contact us if you continue to have questions or issues. We have a new chat on our webpage, and it is staffed during the day. If we are away, it goes to our email and we will get back to you as soon as we can, or you can directly contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org You can also call for general information at 812-944-8464 for the Central/New Albany location, or 812-850-0094 for the Galena Location. You can also contact Indiana@nafclibrary.org for questions about Indiana History and Genealogy or email@example.com for questions about Children and Teen services. We look forward to seeing and hearing from you!