There have been a slew of picture books published this year about kids dealing with worries and anxiety. If you know a little worrier (or maybe you experience anxiety yourself!), these books about anxiety and mindfulness might help!
Picture Books about Anxiety
- The Don’t Worry Book by Todd Parr (2019). I am a huge fan of Todd Parr’s colorful and kid-friendly illustrations and the positive messages in his books.
- My Big Bad Monster by A.N. Kang (2019). The little girl in this book has a monster of self-doubt that follows her around until she learns to overcome it.
- I’m Worried by Michael Ian Black (2019). Potato is worried about everything because anything could happen, but he’s got friends by his side to help him figure it out.
- Ruby Finds a Worry by Tom Percival (2019). Ruby finds a Worry that won’t leave her alone and keeps getting bigger. Can a friend help her get rid of it?
Picture Books About Calm and Mindfulness
- Calm with the Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle (2019). A familiar friend is here to help you stop and breathe and check in with yourself.
- Hands to Heart by Alex Bauermeister (2019). This guide to yoga and meditation combines mindfulness with some basic yoga poses.
- Quiet by Tomie DePaola (2018). Two children and their grandfather spend some time just being quiet and still and noticing the world around them.
- Here and Now by Julia Denos (2019). This beautiful book celebrates the connectedness of everything on Earth.
Wishing you calm,
— Abby Johnson, Collection Development Leader